Softball

Syracuse eliminated by North Carolina, 8-4, in the ACC quarterfinals

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Syracuse trailed 6-0 after the first inning and never recovered.

No. 6 seed Syracuse (31-19, 10-11 Atlantic Coast) was no match for No. 3 seed North Carolina (37-18, 14-9) on Thursday night in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. UNC bounced the Orange from the ACC tournament in the quarterfinals by a final of 8-4.

AnnaMarie Gatti failed to get out of the first inning, allowing four runs and earning only one out — on a fielder’s choice. Alexa Romero followed Gatti in relief, but the All-ACC freshman struggled as well, giving up three runs during her 3.2 innings. After the first inning, Syracuse trailed 6-0.

Faith Cain homered in the top of the second to put SU’s first run on the board, but Cain was the only player to get two hits against UNC.

The teams traded runs from the second to fifth innings, and entering the top of the seventh, on the brink of a loss, SU trailed 8-2. Jessica Heese walked to lead off, followed by a throwing error on Sammy Fernandez’s at-bat to put two runners on. Following two straight outs, Bryce Holmgren drove in Heese and Fernandez on a double to right-center field. Toni Martin came in to pinch-hit on the next at-bat but popped out to second base to seal the Orange’s fate.

SU now must wait for Sunday, May 14, for the NCAA tournament Selection Show to see if it earned a spot as one of the 32 at-large bids.