Softball

Syracuse, Colgate split doubleheader in Hamilton, New York

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Alyssa Dewes went yard on Wednesday afternoon in SU's loss in game two.

Syracuse split its games with Colgate on Wednesday at Eaton Street Field in Hamilton, New York. The Orange (27-18, 7-10 Atlantic Coast) needed just five innings to inflict the mercy rule in a 10-0 victory in the first game. The runs weren’t as plentiful in the second game as Colgate (12-25-1, 2-10 Patriot League) prevailed 3-2.

In game one, freshman left-handed pitcher Alexa Romero pitched all five innings, allowing only two hits while striking out eight batters. With the win, Romero improved to 11-7 on the year.

Sydney O’Hara and Toni Martin both homered on their first at bats of the game to give Syracuse an early 3-0 lead. After an RBI double from sophomore second baseman Alicia Hansen in the third, the offense stalled in the fourth inning.

Syracuse’s fifth inning sealed the game. Hansen opened the scoring with a single up the middle, driving in junior shortstop Sammy Fernandez. O’Hara and Bryce Holmgren earned walks on the following two at bats to load the bases. Faith Cain flied out to center field to score Hansen. Next, Hannah Dossett singled to left center to score both Holmgren and Kelsey Johnson, who pinch ran for O’Hara. Singles from Olivia Martinez and Martin scored the final runs of the game for Syracuse.

In game two, Syracuse loaded the bases in the third inning. The Orange couldn’t repeat the offensive fireworks of game one. Faith Cain was hit by a pitch to score the first run of the game, before Dossett grounded out to end the inning.

Junior right-hander AnnaMarie Gatti stalled in the fourth inning allowing all three of Colgate’s runs, before being pulled after 3 1/3 innings. Romero and O’Hara pitched a no-hitter for the rest of the game, and Alyssa Dewes solo homer in the sixth inning did not complete the SU comeback.

Syracuse hosts Virginia Tech this weekend for a three-game series. First pitch is at 4 p.m. at Skytop Stadium on Friday.