Election 2016

Compare every presidential candidate’s stop in the Syracuse area side by side

Moriah Ratner | Staff Photographer

Take a look at what the presidential candidates are saying on the campaign trail before you head out to vote.

Every major presidential candidate left in the 2016 race for the White House has made a stop in or near Syracuse. Before heading to the polls on Tuesday, take a look at what they said at their respective events, in order of appearance:

Hillary Clinton

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stopped by the F Shed on April 1 for a rally where she emphasized economic policies. About 600 people attended the rally.

Clinton said she wants to bring manufacturing jobs back to New York state and penalize businesses who move jobs to other countries. She also spent about five minutes speaking about college affordability, pointing out flaws in Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) plan for tuition free college. Mainly, she said Sanders’s plan would never be feasible because it depends on the support of Republican governors.

hillaryrally
Moriah Ratner | Staff Photographer

John Kasich

At his campaign stop inside Le Moyne College’s Henninger Athletic Center on April 8, Republican presidential candidate and Ohio Gov. John Kasich highlighted his past accomplishments in balancing budgets as a member of the United States House of Representatives and as governor.

In both instances, he implemented “common-sense” regulations and said he would do the same if he were elected president of the U.S. He also stressed the importance of Democrats and Republicans working together.

Additionally, Kasich criticized the proposals put forth by rival Republican presidential candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz to ban all Muslims from entering the country and monitor Muslim neighborhoods, respectively. Kasich called the positions “absurd” and added that “our friends in the Arab world have to work with us.”

kasich
Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

Bernie Sanders

Inside the Nicholas J. Pirro Convention Center on April 12, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) outlined why he should be the Democratic presidential nominee. He discussed many of his initiatives, including free tuition, campaign finance reform, economic inequality and changing mass incarceration.

Sanders highlighted how super PACs supported Hillary Clinton’s campaign while his average campaign contribution was $27. He said he would stop mass incarceration by demilitarizing and diversifying local police forces.

In regards to student debt, Sanders said getting an education should be rewarded. His plan is to make tuition free so that more people can pursue higher education, which he says is a necessity in the modern workforce.

bernie syracuse
Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Ted Cruz

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) spoke to a crowd of about 800 supporters on Saturday in Cicero, which is about 15 minutes north of Syracuse. Cruz spent a large portion of his speech talking about security and religious liberty.

Cruz got huge cheers for taking a hard line against the Islamic State, saying “we should kill the enemy and get the heck out.”

He also promised to protect religious liberty and to restore Judeo-Christian values in the wake of a Supreme Court fight to appoint a new justice. He vowed to do everything he could to keep the Supreme Court from getting a liberal justice.

tedcruz
Lukas Halloran | Staff Photographer

Donald Trump

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump made a campaign stop in Syracuse on Saturday. He drew a crowd of about 300 protesters as well as numerous supporters for a rally at the Nicholas J. Pirro Convention Center.

At the rally, Trump maintained what he has said repeatedly on the campaign trail about bringing jobs back to the United States and unifying the country. He noted that he was a political outsider, as opposed to a corrupt politician, and pledged to fix the “dirty system.”

He also discussed his controversial plan to build a wall on the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

Ratner_Moriah32
Moriah Ratner | Staff Photographer